Sunday, October 11, 2009

Second Life scares me.

I think it is because I've been addicted to online games before. It started with Everquest and then changed to World of Warcraft. I am very lucky that by the time I started the Masters program I had quit playing, as these games tend to suck up more and more of your time until it is all you can do to not play (I know that some people are able to find the balance between work and play, but I was not one of those).

Second Life is more interesting because people are actually using it as a tool to navigate the real world (first life?) I remember reading that one of the news organizations set up a bureau in Second Life, something I thought was rather interesting. It makes me think of all that cyberpunk I've read and wondering if our world will ever eventually turn into that.

Can libraries use Second Life to read a bigger audience? Some might be able to, it really depends on if their audience is already participating in that world.

No comments:

Post a Comment