Sunday, October 11, 2009

Be careful in there, there are many things.

I'm addicted to Reddit. Addicted may not actually cover it. A few years ago it would take up my whole day, just clicking on links after link, until I had consumed so much information about random things that I could not take it any more. And yet I keep going back (much less now thank goodness). I typically try to scan the front couple of pages to see what I might have missed on CNN.com or in my blog travels. What is interesting about these sites is that they have their own culture, and trends. Right now on Reddit the big thing is AMA (ask me anything) where people post what they are/have done/are doing and people ask them things. The trend started about a month ago, and usually makes up 25% of the front page (which is a lot). The other interesting thing about these sites is they are often ahead of the main stream news sites. I usually read about a story, then hear it on the news a few days later. I don't know if it is because they news gatherers are looking to these outlets for ideas, or if that is just how long it takes for a story to filter through the various layers before it lands on the main news idea space.

I like the middle question on the 23 blog. In my experience these sites kill productivity, though they are good when you brain needs a break from studying to unwind and not be so 'thinky'.

No comments:

Post a Comment